A former public school art teacher, I’ve been teaching classes and workshops to all ages for over ten years. I love sharing how I make everything from dream catchers to large-scale murals to jewelry and recycled arts and crafts. I’ve traveled all over the country working with diverse groups as an artist-in-residence specializing in community-based arts.
For more photos of work created in my workshops, click here.
I’m available for single, full-day, and multi-day workshops on a variety of subjects:
- Dream Catchers
- Beginning, intermediate & advanced drawing
- Painting: Watercolor, acrylic, oil pastel, etc.
- Large-scale murals
- Art journals, artist books & altered books
- Upcylced, re-used, re-purposed, re-made, & recycled art & craft
- Collage and assemblage
- iPhone art & photography
- Folk & indigenous arts & crafts
- Paper-making, paper art
- The art of animals and the natural world
- Poetry, Language Arts, and visual literacy
- Drug, alcohol & tobacco prevention
- Curricula development for standards-based education
- Creativity coaching
- Art for healing & for accessing power
“Rachael Rice was our art teacher for several years at our community-wide Summer Food and Fun Program. ‘Miss Rice’s’ classes were a kids favorite summer after summer. Unlike a school venue, our activities programming was purely elective and Miss Rice would always pack the Community Center, sometimes with as many as thirty eager children. Her ability to keep them challenged and on task was really quite remarkable. Her classes were always well prepared and very inventive; her art projects , fun and exciting; the kids were thrilled to be part of it. In addition to her formidable artistic talents perhaps Miss Rice’s greatest skill was making every student feel highly valued and special and really good about their creative abilities. Any program lucky enough to have Rachael Rice in their art room is fortunate indeed.” ~Doug Hemmings, Community and Social Services Coordinator, Highgate Apartments, Barre, VT.